2012 Olympics - Gale makes the case for Manston with Gold Medallist Jonathan Edwards
North Thanet`s MP, Roger Gale, has this week joined a cross-party group of MPs from the South East of England to discuss how the region can benefit from the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games. Gale raised, specifically, the contribution that Manston Airport might make to the success of the event.
Opportunities across the region include:
- Business in the region winning Games-related contracts;
- Encouraging young people to take up sport;
- Making sure that potential Pre-Games Training Camps get the chance to bid for overseas teams to train in the region in the lead up to the Games;
- Signing up to events and projects to take part in the Cultural Olympiad;
- Involving schools and colleges across the region in ĎGet Setí, London 2012ís Education Programme.
The briefing session was hosted by the Olympian, Jonathan Edwards in his capacity as Vice-Chair of the London 2012 Nations and Regions Group.
Following the meeting, Jonathan commented:
"I was delighted to meet Roger: It`s great to see the level of interest and enthusiasm for the 2012 games amongst South East MPs. We will be working closely together as we build towards 2012 to ensure that the South East maximises the benefits preswted by the Games before, during and for many years to come"
And Roger Gale adds:
Jonathan showed a keen interest in the potential for Manston to act as a reception airfield for athletes and VIPs, particularly in the light of the restrictions that will be placed upon Heathrow and London City airport , and he has agreed to look into the matter further."